Monday, January 19, 2015

DIY Shaker Style Cabinet Doors

I had a fellow diy home decorating friend ask my how I transformed our 1940's very plain, flat style kitchen cabinets into a Shaker style cabinet door.  I decided that if she was asking then others were probably wondering, too.  And I haven't shown my kitchen since it's as complete as it's going to get for now.  (I still have cabinet doors to finish above the fridge and the interior of the bottom cabinets to paint....seriously will this project ever be done??) 

WARNING: This post has a ton of pictures. 

BEFORE...I had already started painting the room the aqua blue/green, so the curtains were down and the room is in disarray. I had finally convinced John that he should let me paint the cabinet doors.  I had come up with an idea to make the flat, boring doors into a shaker style. 





We went to Menards and purchased pine trim that was 2 inches wide and about a 1/4 inch thick.  It came in 8 foot lengths.  I decided that to be more authentic Shaker style they should be cut straight at not at an angle in the corners.  I was VERY happy after we sanded the door to the bare wood and glued and nailed the trim onto the front of the door. It was going to work!  We used a pin nailer and wood glue.  I have had no issues with the pieces staying adhered to the door.




I could barely contain myself when we started to hang them back up.  I was practically doing cartwheels :)



I lined all of the drawers with striped wallpaper.










I stood at the sink for over an hours scrubbing each hinge with a toothbrush.  I used the original hinges and they cleaned up really well.



These are shots of my kitchen tonight. One of my good friends sold her house and she was selling some of her household "stuff."  I have always loved this braided rug and it went perfectly with my curtains.  We now also have a coffee station.  Our cabinets are too low for the Keurig to fit underneath and we find we still use our full size pot often.



I also painted the ceiling the same color as the walls - it eliminates the paint line at the ceiling.  The bead board on the walls and backsplash is wallpaper.  Yes - wallpaper!  I found it at Lowe's and Menards also carries it.  I have used it in 3 rooms now and love it. 


Not much has changed in almost two years...





After bugging for a year - and I mean driving him crazy and pestering until he couldn't take it anymore - my husband agreed to put up my new light above the sink.  We also had to hide the previous huge hole from the old light and bead board tongue and groove worked perfectly.



The tall shelf and baskets are from Target.  I glued the pompom fringe on the baskets.  Every kitchen needs pink pompom fringe ;)

 










I think the hard work paid off and I love my kitchen now.

No comments:

Post a Comment