Tuesday, December 30, 2014

10 Years Later....

One of my favorite rooms in our house is the master bedroom.  Notice what the color is ;)   There is a recurring color theme throughout my house.  My favorite color is this blue/green color.  When we purchased the paint for the exterior it was called "Ocean Fog" and now my children always say "Look mom there is an "ocean fog" ______."  They know I will like anything in this color! I originally painted this room a country blue when we moved in.  I struggle with finding a color I like with the pine furniture.  We purchased the bedroom furniture for our wedding.  I preferred to have furniture over an elaborate wedding ring and I still don't regret the decision.  Sometimes I dream about painting the pine a nice creamy white and distressing it, but my husband isn't game.  We had a weimaraner  named Otto for 13 years.  Within the first month that we had him he chewed up the corners or our bedroom set and let his mark.  Every time I see the damage I think of him.  It could easily be hidden by paint, but sometimes we have to let the husband think he has a voice.  For a long time I just had plain cream colored curtains and kept everything very monochromatic and calm.  Then I found my dream Pottery Barn curtains on Ebay and they were mine!  The whole reason I chose this paint color was to match these curtains - and it only took about 3 years to find an affordable pair.  About 4 years later I found the matching quilt and shams on Ebay for a price I was willing to pay.  So it only took about 10 years for me to say this room is "done." But nothing is ever really done at our house, just as complete as it is going to be for the moment. 
 
 

Our bed is so high from the ground that a normal bed skirt was too short.  I found the blue fabric at St. Vincent DePaul and sewed a band along the bottom of my bed skirt.  Crisis averted!




My blue mason jars.  They are in almost every room of the house.  When my sister got married quite a few years ago we used blue mason jars and white hydrangeas for the table settings.  I collected well over 40 jars for the event and now they are spread all over my house.  I don't think I will ever get tired of that color.  


I recently purchased new chairs for our living room to replace these chairs.  The nice thing about a recurring color theme is most things can be moved all over the house.  And that little 13" television looks so tiny...our nice flat screen is now out in the garage workout area.  I guess that it's more important to have a nice TV while on the treadmill than while snuggling in bed ;)

I have finished trimming out and painting all of the doors in our house black and I LOVE them.  One of the best things I ever chose to do in our house. 


I have a thing for "life reminder quotes". 


Years ago I purchased these beach pictures from Target and hung them in my kitchen.  My love of "Ocean Fog" definitely comes from my absolute love of the beach, especially Lake Superior beaches.  Now these photos have a spot in our bedroom.  I think they will always take up wall space in my home.


The plates are all from St. Vinnies and the mirror is from my grandmother's house.  The table was a second hand find that I painted multiple times. 

 
I need to practice taking photos...photography is definitely not my thing.  But you get the "picture" ;)


3 comments:

  1. Great Job, Kate! Loving The Blog Posts And Photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You painted your interior doors black? How does that work with wood baseboards and flooring? Can we see that somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy - I'll do a more thorough post on the doors, but all I did was take them off the hinges and paint them :) I think they look great next to the white trim and wood floors. They definitely make a statement.

    ReplyDelete